Instructors and moderators can change the class mode in Course Settings.
Virtual Classroom and Webinar Class Modes
Class modes help provide a live class experience better aligned with the instructor's intent.
By default, your live classes are set as Virtual Classrooms. The virtual classroom class mode provides a “hands free” approach to managing your learners in the live class:
- Learners are prompted to turn on their devices when joining the live class. If learners have already used newrow_ smart, then their webcam and microphone devices are automatically initiated.
- When your learners’ devices are activated, they are automatically added to stage.
If your classes have many participants or you don’t want your learners to automatically be prompted to turn on their devices and be added to stage, then we have the Webinar class mode. With the Webinar class mode, you have more control on who is added to stage:
- Learners are not prompted to turn on their devices when entering the live class. If they have previously given newrow_ smart permission to activate their devices, then their devices are not automatically initiated.
- If your learners activate their devices by using the controls in the upper bar, then they are not automatically added to stage. You can add them to stage manually using the Live button in the participant list.
Change class mode
By default, your live classes are set to Virtual classroom mode. To change your class mode you must have instructor or moderator rights:
- Click in the upper bar of your live class
- Select the class mode that you wish to configure:
- Virtual classroom
- Click close - your changes are automatically applied
The class mode you set is saved automatically and remains selected even after leaving the live class and returning later.